Team Mentor role
What do Envision Team Mentors do?
As an Envision Team Mentor, you’d be working directly with a team of young people in a school or college supporting them to make a difference on an issue they care passionately about.
The types of issues the teams choose to work on vary every year. So you could find yourself helping organise a campaign on homelessness or an event to promote racial equality or maybe even a fashion show that challenges negative stereotypes.
Our founding principle is in youth-led action so as a Team Mentor your role is not to lead or manage the team but to facilitate, encourage and support them as they discover their purpose and deliver the change they want to see.
How does it work?
Once you’ve completed the application and interview, we’ll match you with a school or college close to where you live, work or study.
The team meetings take place weekly at the school and they normally happen at lunch time or after school.
Over the course of the academic year you will facilitate your team as they explore different issues that they care about and encourage them as they come up with ideas for how to tackle those issues.
But don’t worry, you won’t be doing all this on your own. We’ve got loads of stuff in place to help make your time as a Team Mentor as smooth and productive as possible as well as lots of fun.
What we’re looking for in our Team Mentors
We’re looking for people who:
- Have a keen interest in working with young people.
- Must be enthusiastic and willing to get stuck-in.
- Are confident and can use their own initiative.
- Can give a commitment to work with their school team from September- April.
- Must be free for two hours each week.
- Must be willing to travel up to forty minutes to get to a school or college.
- Experience of working with 16-19 year olds.
- An interest in social and/or environmental issues.
- Links with organisations and charities.
- Facilitation skills.
- Experience of project or event planning.